Old Side by Sides and Ammo

Talk about 10 12 & 16 gauge shotguns here.
Greyghost

Old Side by Sides and Ammo

Post by Greyghost »

Anyone still using these type guns and if so what ammo are you using?

These have always been solid guns and accounted for a few birds over the years but the modern ammo today is way to much pressure to use in them (12,000). I started using the RST shell 2 3/4 6 shot a couple years ago and have had excellent results (8,000).

The bottom one in the picture is a modern Dickinson and can handle modern 2 3/4" ammo. I only use that one on rainy days. The other old classics I use every day.

Thanks for any input.
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Old Side by Sides and Ammo

Post by redarrow »

Nice. The only double I ever owned was a worn out Boito imported by Spesco of Ga. I killed a truck load of squirrels with it. Nice thing about re loading is you ca load them down to make then safe in the old timers.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
Greyghost

Post by Greyghost »

redarrow wrote:Nice. The only double I ever owned was a worn out Boito imported by Spesco of Ga. I killed a truck load of squirrels with it. Nice thing about re loading is you ca load them down to make then safe in the old timers.
Never heard of that double. Spanish, Italian made?

Yea, unfortunately though the gentleman that was reloading for me past away 5 years ago and ran out of it a couple years ago.

Funny my dad was a big reloader, he shot a lot of trap but I never picked it up.

But those RST shells I am very happy with. I got a case of those (10 boxes of 25) in 6 shot but will be trying out their 4 and 5 shot in the same load and see how they do. Besides it comes out to about 48 cents a shell. I should buy more before they go up.
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

The Boito was imported from S.America.
Greyghost

Post by Greyghost »

redarrow wrote:The Boito was imported from S.America.

Thanks, man was I way off. :LMAO:
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

Not really. Icontacted Spesco and they said it was imported from S.A. However I believe it also had Monte Vedio on the barrels
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

redarrow wrote:Not really. Icontacted Spesco and they said it was imported from S.A. However I believe it also had Monte Vedio on the barrels
Montevideo is the captital of Uruguay
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

Thanks Spur.I thought it was in Spain. :lol:
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Nice. I eyed a Dickinson at Cabela's the other day. If the stock had been straight I woulda taken one home. Sinistrality saves me money, at least.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Earl nice to see you over here. Looking forward to you coming hunting in the spring
I thought you would be BIGGER
Greyghost

Post by Greyghost »

Hobie wrote:Earl nice to see you over here. Looking forward to you coming hunting in the spring
Hey Job, can't wait to get after those PA birds. Looking forward to hunting with you and Zeth (sp)

You got your side by side ready for this year? I will be bringing 2 along.

Howl, I like the looks of the english straight stock but man do they kick, even with light loads. But again I am old and brittle. ;)
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

By straight I meant cast neutral. I like the opportunity to try a gun to see how much I like it before having the stock fixed. With them cast off for dextrals I am unlikely to make the effort at those prices. Those light game guns do kick!
Jamey

Post by Jamey »

Never shot them and don't even like EM but they do make a Hevi Shot load that they call "Classic Doubles" which is claimed to be made for the old guns and have less pressure.
Greyghost

Post by Greyghost »

Jamey wrote:Never shot them and don't even like EM but they do make a Hevi Shot load that they call "Classic Doubles" which is claimed to be made for the old guns and have less pressure.
Yes sir they do. Myself and a couple others have tried them and they pattern terribly. Just seems no consistency. :dontknow:

Oh, I think once you shot them you will love them. ;) What don't you like about them?
Jamey

Post by Jamey »

Greyghost wrote:
Jamey wrote:Never shot them (Classic Doubles shells) and don't even like EM (EnvironMetal) but they do make a Hevi Shot load that they call "Classic Doubles" which is claimed to be made for the old guns and have less pressure.
Yes sir they do. Myself and a couple others have tried them and they pattern terribly. Just seems no consistency. :dontknow:

Oh, I think once you shot them you will love them. ;) What don't you like about them?
Maybe I wasn't clear so I added to my original post above. IMO they make crap for shells and advertise them as long range killers. Consistency, just as you mentioned, is only one of the issues I have with them.

As far as double guns...Love them but like mine stacked the other way! :)
Greyghost

Post by Greyghost »

Jamey wrote:
Greyghost wrote:
Jamey wrote:Never shot them (Classic Doubles shells) and don't even like EM (EnvironMetal) but they do make a Hevi Shot load that they call "Classic Doubles" which is claimed to be made for the old guns and have less pressure.

Maybe I wasn't clear so I added to my original post above. IMO they make crap for shells and advertise them as long range killers. Consistency, just as you mentioned, is only one of the issues I have with them.

As far as double guns...Love them but like mine stacked the other way! :)

Ah, ok got you. Thanks for clarifying. :thumbup:

Return to “Big Bore”